- October 29: Farmwell Station Middle School in Ashburn, VA was the site of an ARISS radio contact with Drew Morgan. This event had an attendance of 500 students filling the auditorium. Listening to the live stream were students at Discovery Elementary School, Cedar Lane Elementary School, and Broad Run High School. Morgan answered 13 questions. Students in the middle school’s Space Dreamers group led the effort to get faculty to submit an outstanding ARISS Education Proposal in order to win an ARISS contact. Several students were ham operators or studying for their license exam. A TV reporter did interviews and local newspapers were present at the event. The contact was live-streamed to the general public. NBC4 TV station in Washington DC posted at: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Astronaut-Space-Chats-With-Virginia-Middle-School-Students_Washington-DC-564073312.html
- Loudon Now news coverage is at: https://loudounnow.com/2019/10/29/ham-radio-provides-ashburn-students-with-link-to-space-station/
- Oct. 28: Golden Oak Montessori School in Castro Valley, CA hosted an ARISS contact with Drew Morgan. He answered 13 student questions while an audience of 325 listened. The event was streamed by the school (start viewing at 17:45--you’ll see some students’ nervous energy!) at: https://www.goldenoakmontessori.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=884592&type=d&pREC_ID=1787594
- A video was also posted online as a YouTube. Students studied space exploration, earth science, and astronomy in preparation for their contact. Golden Oak parents were ecstatic, saying: "I squealed like a kid when I heard Colonel Morgan's voice!" and "Today was probably the coolest thing that will happen to my kid all year."
- October 28: The Young Scientists Program (YSP) at University of Southern California (USC) and Vermont Avenue Elementary School in Los Angeles, CA sponsored an ARISS contact with Luca Parmitano who answered 20 student questions. The YSP educator, who is a new ham operator, began working with the school in April and told reporters she spent the summer amending YSP curriculum with “some quality space education, a little bit of ham radio, and a little bit of ISS-specific information.” Attending the day’s events were 666 people including 230 students in the main room and others watching via a live video streamed to their classrooms by USC's Annenberg Media Center. Special guests were a contingent from US Congresswoman Karen Bass's office who presented students with certificates commemorating the event; her office posted a news release and video on her Congressional web site’s home page at: https://bass.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/office-congressmember-karen-bass-presents-certificates-congratulations
- The YSP Facebook page had 3942 viewers of their posts about ARISS. The USC student independent news outlet, Daily Trojan, story is at: https://dailytrojan.com/2019/10/30/young-scientists-program-helps-kids-connect-with-the-iss/ and its stats are: 10,000 print circulation, 64,000 social media followers. The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) Section Manager attended and wrote an article to be published. The Annenberg Media Center posted a YouTube video and a story at: http://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2019/10/28/lausd-students-contact-astronauts-in-space-for-the-first-time/
- October issue: The Spectrum Monitor magazine’s VHF and Above column carried an article titled “USMA Cadets Contact Alum Aboard ISS” describing an October 19 ham radio contact a number of cadets had with West Point alum Drew Morgan. The guys and gals were aided by Colonel Steve Hamilton, Officer In Charge of the West Point (NY) Ham Club radio station where the contact took place. The article also related Morgan’s achievements as an engineer a doctor of medicine, being accepted as a NASA astronaut, and how he chose to get a ham license.
ARISS Social Media
Followers at the end of October totaled 11,398, a gain of 144 or 1.3% over the end of September.
ARISS Upcoming Events
- November 5: Students at Private UKEB School in Izmir, Turkey will engage in an ARISS contact with Luca Parmitano.
- November 6: Two schools, Istituto Comprensivo G.B. Perasso in Milano, Italy and Istituto Comprensivo Montignoso-Scuola secondaria I grado G.B.Giorgini in Montignoso, Italy will join together in an ARISS contact with Luca Parmitano.