- January 13: Sayama Mizutomi Community Center in Sayama, Japan hosted a successful ARISS contact between students and Luca Parmitano. An audience of 250 watched students as Parmitano answered 20 of their questions. A TV station, a newspaper and three other news sources were present covering the event. A YouTube file of the ARISS contact that shows student anticipation turning in to happiness is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqACsQoYHSw.
- January 13: An article about ARISS was written by an ARISS team member and posted on the website of University of Southern California’s Dornsife College. The story is about how ARISS garners young people’s interest in STEM and results in “a spark of wonder and delight.” The URL for the story is: https://dornsife.usc.edu/joint-educational-project/sparking-the-imagination/ .
- January 17: The ARISS Team wrote and distributed a new release regarding a new window of opportunity. That will be open February 1 to March 31, 2020 to accept ARISS education proposals. Winning proposals will be for ARISS contacts during the January to June 2021 timeframe.
ARISS Upcoming Events
- January 22: Ontario Science Centre in Toronto, Canada will host an ARISS contact with Luca Parmitano.
- January 22: Students at Morita Junior High School in Fukui, Japan are planning an ARISS contact with Luca Parmitano.
- January 29-31: ARISS-Russia will support an MAI SSTV Session, downlinking space-related images from the ISS.