- Apr 26: Scott Tingle supported an ARISS contact for students from three schools in different Polish cities: Zespół Szkoły Podstawowej i Publicznego Gimnazjum w Buczku in Buczek; I Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Tadeusza Kościuszki w Łasku in Łask; and Zespół Szkół Ponadgimnazjalnych w Zelowie in Zelów. The first attempt at making contact was unsuccessful but on the following orbit, contact was made. All 15 student questions were answered and 160 attendees witnessed the events. Reporters from Radio Lodz, a television station and newspapers covered the contact and live streaming was done. A few months earlier, a 9-year-old Polish girl from another town emailed the ARISS mentor with a note and a video her mom had helped her make about how excited she was about astronauts in space. Because of her extreme interest at age 9, the mentor invited her to the school to watch students interview Tingle, and had her sit in the front row. A YouTube video of the contact (the first try starts at 0:50 and the successful contact starts at 2:38) is at:
- Apr-May: The ARISS-US team is making plans for its presence at Hamvention, the largest ham radio convention in the US; 29,296 people attended the three-day show last year. It is May 18-20 near Dayton, OH, and ARISS will have a bigger booth than in years past. The team will show off a number of interesting pieces of current hardware and future hardware being developed to launch later in 2018. A monitor in the booth will feature ARISS action images, and a roll-up banner will explain the ARISS mission, as will the materials to be handed out. Team members will be encouraging participation in ARISS at the convention’s youth forum, educator’s forum, the AMSAT forum, two forums about general ham radio operations, and at a special dinner. ARISS gets a distinctive time prior to the convention’s big prize drawing event to give away an ARISS Challenge Coin to a lucky attendee.
ARISS Social Media Report for April 2018
ARISS Facebook Page Report
ARISS Twitter followers at the end of April totaled 8663, a gain of 187 (or 2.2%) over the end of March.
- May 3: An ARISS radio contact is scheduled with Scott Tingle and students at Mill Springs Academy in Alpharetta, GA.
- May 3: Students for the Exploration & Development of Space at Texas A&M in College Station, TX and lower grade students at Allen Academy in Bryan, TX will interview Scott Tingle during an ARISS radio contact.
- May 7: Mooreland Heights Elementary School in Knoxville, TN will host an ARISS radio contact for students with Ricky Arnold.