- Nov 8: Bishop O’Connell High School students in Arlington, VA had an exciting week participating in an ARISS radio contact with Serena Aunon-Chancellor and doing many related STEM activities such as building satellites. A crowd of 560 people, of which 482 were students, witnessed the ARISS contact during which Aunon-Chancellor answered 19 questions. Newly confirmed NASA Deputy Administrator James Morhard, a Bishop O’Connell alumnus, sent a very nice congratulatory note to students. Five NASA SCaN staffers traveled to Arlington to watched the contact and afterwards hosted a town hall meeting for 120 engineering students, who asked wide-ranging questions and learned about the NASA intern program. The ARISS contact was live streamed on SCaN’s Facebook page, which saw logged 2,500 views and is at: http://www.facebook.com/NASASCaN/videos/765689473826746/?t=111
- Nov 2-4: ARISS Mentor Steve Taylor and members of the Everglades Amateur Radio Club exhibited ham radio and ARISS at the 2018 Wings Over Homestead Air & Space Show in Homestead, FL. They were invited to set up in the STEM section intended for inspiring youth. They parked two field vehicles filled with ham radio stations right by their tent and talked to families and educators about ARISS and radio. The team demoed SSTV, how to capture NOAA satellite weather images, and satellite contacts, asking students to hold, aim, and move an antenna for best reception. A photo story about the exhibit ran in The ARRL Letter (103,000 subscribers) and ARRL home web page.
- Nov 11: The ARISS team learned of two new hour-long videotapes of students from two schools, Ganerben Gymnasium and Georg Wagner Schule, that had hosted an ARISS contact on Oct. 16 in Kuenzelsau, Germany. This is the home town of Alex Gerst. The videos portray an impressive showcasing by DLR and the schools of STEM studies—space and ARISS—that quite obviously fired up the youth. Students, STEM experts and VIPs led very diverse presentations that caused cheers and whistling. The first video shows the first half of “the show” and the impressed young crowd. The second video is of talks the students enthusiastically appreciated followed by the ARISS contact itself (at 40-minutes):
- A footnote: the students’ great excitement about the ARISS contact and the show inspired the ARISS mentors to submit a proposal for an ARISS contact in Oct. 2019 for “Science Days” at the largest German theme park, Europapark Rust.
- Nov 13: The New English School in Jabriya, Kuwait held an ARISS contact for students with Serena Aunon-Chancellor. Information from the contact will be received in time for next week’s report.
- Nov 21: Templeton Academy International in Nainital, India will sponsor an ARISS contact for students with Serena Aunon-Chancellor.