- Mar 27: Students from eight schools in the Freeport Public School District in Freeport, NY talked with Scott Tingle during their ARISS contact. Over 300 attendees listened as he answered 15 student questions. Media coverage by the majors in the New York City market was outstanding: WNBC, WABC, WCBS, Long Island News 12, plus two newspapers. Students had discovered two asteroids in the International Astronomical Search Campaign and won NASA plaques, then calculated the asteroids’ orbits and wrote a paper that was accepted for a physics education journal. Middle schoolers built a radio telescope and a dipole antenna with their teacher as part of NASA Radio Jove to observe radio emissions from Jupiter and the sun. Students starred in “Interplanet Janet,” a 5 ½-minute music video designed by the music teacher for exploring planets, and it featured footage of Sunita Williams (at the 4-minute point)—please click on this:
Media links are:
http://longisland.news12.com/story/37822787/freeport-students-interact-with-astronaut-on-iss This also ran on the Connecticut, Bronx and Brooklyn News 12 affiliates.
- Mar 14: Hudson Memorial School in Hudson, NH, and the local supporting ham radio club, Nashua Area Radio Society, hosted another pre-ARISS contact activity. This one was a combination Raspberry Pi and STEM Night. Students used ham radios to talk to overseas hams, tracked hidden radios with antennas and receivers, saw a video of the radio club’s high altitude balloon project carrying ham radio, and had fun sending Morse code messages.
- Apr 2-3: ARISS Russia has provided new Slow Scan TV transmissions from the ISS. These are popular with many people. The images have been downlinked by hams in Asia, Europe, and South America and posted to a special ARISS web page for the world to view.
- Mar 30: In the new edition of the CASIS magazine, Upward, ARISS is featured within the first paragraph of an article titled, “CASIS in the Classroom.” The link is: https://upward.iss-casis.org/casis-in-the-classroom/
- Mar 30: The ARISS team prepared quarterly metrics for inputting to special online CASIS forms.
ARISS Social Media Report for March 2018
ARISS Facebook Page Report
- Apr 4: Visitors in Valday, Russia are scheduled for an ARISS radio contact with Oleg Artemyev.
- Apr 10: Oleg Artemyev will support an ARISS contact with students in Vologda, Russia.