17 November 2015, 1200 UTC
Interpreter: Mark Leybovich
Unavailable to participate:
Francesco De Paolis
Roll Call—Rosalie White, K1STO
Welcome—Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
Frank Bauer congratulated the team on the recent anniversary of the very historic activities that took place on November 13, 2000—the first set of QSOs with the ISS crew using our amateur radio station to do check-out passes. One QSO took place with Sergey Samburov and several cosmonauts at the microphone in Russia. Frank said the other QSO took place with him, Lou McFadin and Ken Nichols at the microphone at NASA Goddard in Maryland. A few hours later, Astronauts Ellen Baker and Mike Fossum and Gil Carmen did a further check-out pass from Houston. These QSOs took place less than two weeks after the ISS was opened for human habitation! A few weeks after that the team had its first school QSO.
1. Update, Kaiser-Italia Proposal—Emanuele D’Andria, I0ELE Emanuele D’Andria recounted that the team that two weeks ago an excellent conversation was held with Kaiser-Italia. This took place a few weeks after having held an ARISS teleconference call so that ARISS team members could compose comments and questions about Kaiser-Italia’s proposal. He said depending on further comments and questions, there will be another conference call with Kaiser-Italia.
Frank reported that he had a set of team comments that he will forward to Emanuele in the next week.
Emanuele told the team that he had talked with the chair of IARU Region 1 about the possibility of that group donating some funds to ARISS. The Region 1 chair said to send information about the project to him, and Emanuele asked Oliver Amend if he could do that. Oliver said he would do so. Emanuele said that we could ask again, later, about funding. Emanuele suggested that other delegates could ask the same question of their IARU Region officers.
Frank said that Emanuele was smart to think about unusual ways to find funding. Confirming that there is funding for a project is one of our “gates” that has to be gone through before a proposal is approved.
2. Minutes from ARISS Face-to-Face Meeting in Japan—Frank Bauer, KA3HDOFrank reminded everyone that Rosalie White had sent an email with final minutes of our meeting in Japan, and those minutes had been revised based on notes received from two delegates. Recently, Stefan Wagener had asked that we take a vote of the delegates on whether to accept the minutes. Frank stated that the minutes will be published on the ARISS web site if no further comments are sent in the next three days after today.
Emanuele reported that he will send Frank and Rosalie a few comments about the meeting in general, the comments may affect the minutes.
Emanuele thanked Rosalie for all of the tricky work in taking minutes. He said we should find ways to ease the workload, and one idea is for presenters to provide more wording. Frank said part of the problem of having timely minutes is not getting presentations and reports to Rosalie to be distributed before meetings, and that most of us are guilty of being late from time to time. Rosalie said there are two real problems. The first is the need for more microphones at face-to-face meetings so that people don’t get impatient and go ahead and talk while a microphone is being passed to them. We are all tempted to not wait and then cannot be heard by everyone or for recording minutes. The second problem is side conversations that prevent her from hearing; side conversations need to be stopped quickly.
3. Update, Tim Peake Mission—Ciaran Morgan, M0XTD
Ciaran Morgan gave updates on the Tim Peake mission, saying that the UKSA received the request from ARISS/QinetiQ for a proposal to permit an extension to the Astro-Pi Mission objectives. The mission extension proposed that one of the Astro-Pi units being flown for the Tim Peake Principia mission be re-purposed, when available and not required for Principia purposes, as an alternative video source for the ARISS HAMVideo system. The UKSA reported they had been in discussion with ESA about this. The UKSA and ESA Education are, in principle, fully supportive of the proposal and recognize that the addition of a facility to downlink images and/or videos via the HAMVideo system would bring a new dimension to outreach capabilities. However, both the UKSA and ESA determined that they are unable to process a mission extension prior to the launch of Expedition 45s with Tim Peake.
The UKSA and ESA are proposing a meeting for early 2016 with ARISS, Raspberry Pi Foundation, and QinetiQ/Goonhilly in order to discuss and agree on a way forward. Recognizing that the two Astro-Pi units on orbit for Principia will be utilized very heavily, it was suggested that one of the flight spares be flown for use as the prototype video source for HAMVideo.
Ciaran met the CEO of the Raspberry Pi Foundation last week and very soon they will meet again, and with others. The CEO is aware of our interest in the Raspberry Pi and of our desire to network with them and possibly even use them as a means of controlling the proposed new radio system. He is supportive of ARISS approaching POIWG, as suggested by Kenneth, and that will be on the agenda for the meeting in early 2016. Raspberry Pi Foundation has taken the positive step forward of getting a unit certified for flight, and hopes to make a presentation to the POIWG in January.
Lou asked if an adaptor has been identified for the cable. Ciaran said the parts were identified and one can be manufactured. Also, he hopes to get agreement to test the breadboard. Lou asked Ciaran to send some basic information on that.
4. Terms of Reference for ARISS-International Technical Evaluation & Support (TES) Committee--Mark Steiner, K3MS
Mark Steiner reminded everyone that the work on these Terms of Reference (TOR) is part of the process of changing the old ARISS-International Project Selection & Use Committee to the new ARISS-International Technical Evaluation & Support Committee. Mark created a document for the TOR that correctly captures the responsibilities of the committee and how it interacts with proposers during each phase (or gate) during the life cycle of a project – from receiving a conceptual proposal to having a final product operating on ISS. Or from receiving a proposal and either rejecting it or modifying it so it can move to the next phase of its lifecycle, ultimately to become a final product operating on ISS.
He worked with a group who were the most interested in drafting the TOR: Stefan Wagener, Oliver Amend, Lou McFadin, and Emanuele D’Andria. They pulled together pieces to put into the TOR, and the document is in the final round of reviews. The TOR and the updated proposal guidelines should be ready for ARISS Officers and Delegates to review in the next few days.
Frank said we hope to take a vote of the delegates by email, and if that doesn’t happen soon, we can vote at the December ARISS-International telecon meeting.
Mark thanked Dave Taylor for his help; Mark appreciated Dave’s fine expertise in technical writing and said Dave had been very helpful.
5. Update, ARISS-I Technical Evaluation & Support Committee work on Art Towslee Slide Show—Mark Steiner, K3MS
Art Towslee has designed and constructed a working first model of an ISS slide show module based on the Raspberry Pi. The HamTV Ad-hoc Committee (HTT) is reviewing the design and will provide inputs for an improved second model.
Art and the team are waiting for further technical and programmatic items to be determined before they proceed with the next version. Art is willing to build this second prototype at his own expense after these details are worked out. Art is willing to ship his first prototype wherever it needs to go or personally travel there with it to meet and discuss parameters. A thank you goes to Art for these generous offers.
Once a path forward is determined (we have a potential proposal from Kaiser-Italia for building a unit, and we have the Astro-Pi ideas), and the project is approved by ARISS Delegates, Art will share his drawings, design, and specifications with whomever will be building the unit.
6. ARISS 15th and 20th Anniversary Commemorations—Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
Frank said with the 15th anniversary of the first ISS QSOs on November 13, 2015; the 15th anniversary of the first ARISS school contact on December 21, 2015; and the 20th anniversary of the formation of ARISS in November 2016, our team should commemorate these historic events through ARISS opportunities with hams and students. To kick off the commemorations, and with the help of ARISS-Russia/Sergey, we will have commemorative SSTV downlinks. We are starting to compile files in a Dropbox for this. See:
Note that different subjects (in separate folders) are proposed to commemorate different aspects of ARISS, including school contacts, our international meetings, our delegates and officers, on-orbit crew members, team members that are now Silent Keys, telebridge operators, mentors, hardware, and SuitSat/ARISSat/Radioskaf. The information in the Dropbox is preliminary; more files are being added every day. If you have additional photos for this, please send the files to Frank.
The files will be culled down to a select few that will be in ARISS SSTV commemoration series. Tentatively, the first SSTV downlink is planned for mid-December and there could potentially be a series each month, or every other month, over the course of a year.
More information will be forthcoming. Other ideas to commemorate ARISS's 15th and 20th anniversaries are welcomed; please send ideas to Frank.
Rosalie said she was very happy to read EMike McCardel’s email message about the AMSAT report that Kjell Lindgren did a Tweet congratulatory message and an ISS photo in honor of ARISS’s 15-year anniversary!
7. Technical Interchange Meeting It was decided previously that we need to hold a Technical Interchange Meeting (TIM) sometime in the spring to discuss educational activities using CubeSats and hand-deployed satellites, such as Suitsat-2/Radioskaf-3 or ARISSat-2/Radioskaf-3. Sergey offered Russia as the location. Tatiana Kolmykova is happy to work with ARISS on the TIM’s logistics, and said Southwest University in Kursk and places in other cities could be of interest to the team. She said the team would be met at the airport, escorted around, and hopefully have a memorable experience. Frank thanked Tatiana. (He thanked her also for sending Russian school information to Rosalie for ARISS metrics.) She asked what month is best for the team; her preference is May or June. Frank said discussions have already begun about specific weeks, and 2 ½ days are probably needed for discussions. Details will follow.
Our next ARISS International meeting will be 15 December 2015 at 1200 UTC.
Rosalie White, K1STO
November 23, 2015